The present form of ANBESSA SHOE SHARE is a result of many changes and reorganizations, which took place over the past 60 or more years. Documentary evidences indicate that the factory has passed through the following institutional rearrangements or reorganization processes:
Anbesa Shoes is a leading manufacturer of all kinds of shoes in Ethiopia and a major exporter of leather shoes from Ethiopia to many parts of the world. Under the support of UNIDO, Anbessa has opened the doors to Italian designer Giorgio Gadina, to introduce a new line in Anbessa’s collection.
Anbessa has started close collaboration with various European and American Companies.
– In 1927, Anbessa is launched and the shoe production begins
– In 1939, private established the factory entrepreneur who operated it for only about 3 years.
– In 1942, the factory was taken over by an Armenian entrepreneur, Mr.Mardious Drakjan, who run the business for 33 years under the name DARMAR SHOE FACTORY. The initial capital of DARMAR was Birr 217,000 and its total workforce ranged from 50 up to 200. During this phase of its life, the company was engaged in the activity of both Shoe Marking and Tannery.
– In 1975, DARMAR was fully nationalized and organized as two public enterprises namely ANBESSA SHOE FACTORY and AWASH TANNERY. Which were put under the direct supervision of the National Leather and Shoe Corporation. The shoe-making unit of DARMAR, later called ANBESSA SHOE FACTORY, Started its operation as a public enterprise on February 10, 1975 with a fixed capital of Birr 445,000 and a total workforce of 334. This phase lasted for about 18 years until the Factory was reorganized to get more autonomy and operate with the recent free market policy framework of the country.